CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Black Like Me

OK so I need to get on my soapbox for a hot second because ignorant, judgemental people piss me the (BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP) off.

So for all of those who actually know me you know that I'm not the "blackest" person on the planet. I grew up on "white" side of town, went to a "white" university, joined a "white" sorority, talk like a "white" girl, and am dating a "white" boy. Basically, the outside world sees me as "trying to be a white girl", but to me I'm just living my life the way it happens. I'm not "TRYING" to do jack sh*t but live my life, be happy, and be myself.

I know that a lot of people think that us black folks that "act white" ignore race. Sorry people, that's just not true; I'm not one to ignore race and racism, nor am I one to ignore racist stereotypes but COME ON people. I think it is completely ridiculous that if a black person's parents have good jobs, they get a good education, they make amazing friends, they can speak properly, and they have found an amazing guy, people can't just be happy for them because the people involved in those situations are of another race. That is ludicrous and it just makes black people in my situation feel even more isolated from our race and as a result we make friends with more white, Asian, Hispanic, and black people like us. It's not that we consciously do this, but it's human nature to avoid unnecessary criticism, stress, and anger as well as making friends with people who have similar interests, backgrounds, and/or education who don't piss us off or consistently judge us; in my particular situation a lot of this judging came from the "hood" people I came into contact with in school, work, and/or out wherever so I avoid these people (and hardcore rednecks) based on the experiences I have had with a significant sample of the population. Isn't that the exact opposite of what you wanted to happen in the first place?

Now I'm not saying anything against people who want to be "black." I don't care if you want to live in the "hood," speak "black," date "black, and go to an HBCU; more power to you. I'm a liberal and a firm believer that you do whatever you want and in turn leave me alone to do whatever I want to do. (I'm not talking about just black people either...if you're Native American or Asian and you want to go to Howard University, Spelman, or any other HBCU then get the grades and get in, they are amazing schools that do not get the credit they deserve. ) I think the most important thing is to be the person you naturally are and not try to fit in the mold that any person or society wants you to be in because the only way you are going to be happy is to be yourself. But I also believe that you should not limit your potential with your prejudices and and not be able to do whatever you want to do within your abilities. I can guarantee that Oprah, P Diddy, and Jay-Z did not get to where they are today by hating white people, speaking uneducatedly in business settings, and picking on people that don't match their definition of "blackness."

On that note, is there some dictionary definition of races that I missed when I was younger? Is it next to the Webster and above the Encyclopedia Britanica? I know there are stereotypes about the definition of races but I don't think it's fair that white people get "wealthy and powerful" Asian get "smart and strict," Hispanics get "illegal hardworkers who save a lot of money," and blacks get "uneducated and gangbangers." I can't stress how important it is for EVERYONE to realize the following statement: White people don't own the right to be successful and powerful; every individual does, no matter their race or upbringing. And I'm sorry but if being successful, educated, in control of my own life, and doing whatever the hell I want means I'm "acting white" then I'm going to to "act white" until the day I f*ing die.

So it's lunch time and I'm hungry so I'm going to go eat something so I'm going to end this now with the wise words of someone who is following my M.O. and has to decided to not give two craps about what other people think about her...Miss Lindsay Lohan.

"I'm tired of people lying saying what they want about me. Why can't they back up off me? Why can't they let me live? I'm gonna do it my way. Take this for just what it is."

And you know what if you don't like it then this is what you can do:

  1. Find a nice large dog
  2. Eat it's shit
  3. Find a shotgun
  4. Go to a secluded area
  5. Shoot yourself in your favorite body part three times (but not your head or heart cause that will make it so you can't do step 6)
  6. Wait to bleed out and die a slow death and think about what an ignorant, judgemental asshole you really are.

KThanksBye :-)

1 comments:

Lisa said...

That's my girl! <3 you and your quotable rantings.

I would also like to leave you with wise words of my own, words that I'm sure came from our fine drinking team: "I do what I want."