So I'm not one to be against globalism and an international economy BUT there are things that are supposed to be American:
- Apple Pie
- Homemade BBQ
- Football (not futbol)
- NASCAR
- Hot Dogs
- Ford Trucks and
- Natty, Bud, Mich and Busch (which go amazingly well with the first 5 and the 6th is good for tailgating at #3 and keeping your beer off the damn ground)
As you all should know by now, unless you live under a rock or in rehab, my beloved Anheuser has been sold to Belgium-Brazilian alcohol giant InBev.
Lisa sent me this video, which basically sums up my thoughts on this.
If they change the recipe for my Bud Light I swear...
Anyway, here is my big issue with this whole thing (besides that whole selling America's beer thing): Beer doesn't cross cultures well. The largest part of InBev's idea in this take over is that they will be able to spread the "Great American Lager" all over the world (see article.) Is it going to work? I think not. Of course there are exceptions, like Guiness and Corona (which Anheuser owned half of), but for the most part you don't find vast numbers of Germans, Scots, Koreans, and Russians saying "Damn, I wish they had some Budweiser in my local pub/bar/tavern," or "Screw the vodka, give me a Bud Light." Plus I don't think the people in Buweis, Czech Republic are going to be to happy to have the King of Beers in their stores when they already have their own "Budweiser". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_trademark_dispute)
Honestly, if American beer did well abroad don't you think SABMiller (full name: South African Breweries-Miller...yep that Miller), founded in South Africa and headquartered in London until June 30, 2008, would have been spreading Miller Lite and MGD althrough Europe by now? But no, they didn't. Instead they joined up with MolsonCoors (headquartered in Canada), moved to Chicago on July 1st and are planning to fill America with Coors Light and Miller Light because they can say they are an American company now and the big dog in town can't.
Oh well I guess for all the foreign companies American companies have sucked up, it was only time for us to have to give up something...so farewell Anheuser, or should I say "adieu", "afscheid", "Abschied" and "despedida." (They have three official languages in Belgium...)
Peace out people.

0 comments:
Post a Comment